It’s coming up on my third year of being involved with social media. There is so much I have learned and want to share. This would take a course load of material, so I think it might be more appropriate to give you some quick hit comments and quotes on social media. While you might not get the whole story, you’ll get the point.
I was going to name this piece “101 One-Liners about Social Media,” but I am just following the lead of a group called The Nails with the naming of their song “88 Lines about 44 Women” – in social media, you can not BS it – you have to call it like it is. So no, they are not all one liners and there are not 101. (Maybe if you share, we’ll get to 101.)
So without further ado, here are some of my favorite quick hit quotes (including my own) on social media segmented by topic.
The best place to start is with some definition.
• Social media = media + social interaction (transform and broadcast media monologues into social media dialogues) (via wikipedia)
• 4Ps: Product, Price, Place and Promotion turn into 4Cs for the social age: Content, Context, Connection and Community. (via @ducttape)
• “Social Media is about sociology and psychology more than technology.” (Brain Solis)
Social media is changing the way customers look at products and services, and slowly changing businesses.
Social Media Evolution
• “When I think about the pace of innovation required today, it feels like Moore’s Law applied to the management suite.” (@michellemanafy)
• “You’ve lost control. What’s next? Influence – you’d be amazed how powerful that can be. (Maybe even more than controlling it.)” (Social Steve)
• “The community decides when it’s a community… you don’t” (Mitch Joel)
• “We need to structure corporate organizations around the customer.” (Social Steve)
• “It’s not viral unless it is” (Jay Baer)
• “In the end, it turns out that we’re all taking different paths in pursuit of the same goal: happiness.” (Tony Hsieh)
You can’t just do social media, you must have a strategy.
• “Do you have both an offsite and onsite strategy? Is there connect and integration between the two?” (Social Steve)
• Be real. Be you. (Social Steve)
Along the way, you should pick up some good tips on social media.
• “Think like a publisher, not a marketer.” (David Meerman Scott)
• “Sometimes ‘timing’ isn’t everything. Sometimes ‘execution’ is everything. (Mitch Joel)
• “People who know more spend more” (Wesley Chan – Google analytics)
• “KISS to now represent Keep it Simple and ‘Shareable'” (Brian Solis)
• “The numbers don’t lie.” (@lindsaykap)
• “Human emotion spawns social media interaction.” (Social Steve)
• “Do not sell!” (Social Steve)
• “People usually buy things from people they feel comfortable with.” (Social Steve)
• Perception is reality. (Traditional)
• “It’s not so much about brand control as it is about brand management and appropriate representation.” (Pete Codella)
• “Just an exercise… rather than focus on our *own* brand, what if we imagine our job is to realize/improve on the “brand” of our users?” (@KathySierra)
• “Don’t forget social media has the word social in it – engage, converse.” (Social Steve)
• “Don’t Blog to be known… Blog to be knowable,” (Hugh McGuire)
• “Something unfortunate happens, apologize in public and provide facts that prove it won’t happen again.” (Social Steve)
• “To get attention today, need to give attention.” (@gregverdino)
• Content is NOT king. Conversation around content is king. (@johnhutson)
A long the way, I came up with some social media models and concepts. Here are selected quotes around ideas I formulated.
Social Steve’s Take
• “A-Path: Attention-Attraction-Affinity-Audience-Advocacy … got a strategy to implement it?” (Social Steve)
• “LCR Mentality – Listen, Conversations, Relationships – are you doing it?” (Social Steve)
o Are you just talking without listening?” (Social Steve)
o “’Listen’ to me and do me one favor – be a better listener!” (Social Steve)
o “Did you listen to your target market today? What did you learn?” (Social Steve)
• “One of the greatest assets of the emergence of social media is a new wave of sharing and collaboration.” (Social Steve)
• “Have a mindset of giving up control and concentrate on influence. In the long run, this is what will produce your brand advocates.” (Social Steve)
• “Your target market is like an archery chart … how much do you need to stay towards the center with out diluting your brand?” (Social Steve)
• “Social media will unveil what kind of BS you have – ‘Brand Substance’ or ‘Bull $hit.’” (Social Steve)
• “In social media, it is really not important what you do, but rather how you do it. Okay, I exaggerate a bit but …” (Social Steve)
• “SEO is push; social media is pull.” (Social Steve)
• “Is there such a thing as Mastering Social Media?” (Social Steve)
• “I know it is a business, but you must go about it like making friends!” (Social Steve)
• “Reminds me a little bit of the movie ‘The Gremlins’ – social media is a loveable little creature, but if you don’t harness it the right way, complete chaos and pandemonium will break out.” (Social Steve)
• “Make It Happen!” (Social Steve)
Yes, there is no shortage of questions on social media. The answers will shape the future. Here are just a few to ponder.
Raising Some Questions
• “Are you past, ‘should we do social media’ – if yes, start asking – ‘HOW should we do social media’ – don’t ‘just do it’ – sorry Nike.” (Social Steve)
• “What’s the one thing brands, gangs, and dogs all have in common? They all mark their territory.” (Jeremiah Owyang)
• Imagine a system in which consumers decide how to present themselves to the universe of marketers, much as they do on Facebook. This is what I need you, the marketer, to know. This is what I want. Make it worth my while, and you can follow me!” (Steve Smith)
You probably know by now, I’m a music junkie. So just a few quotes in this area.
Applicable Takes from Musicians
• “It’s taken me all my life to learn what not to play” (Dizzy Gillespie)
• “Who are you, who, who, oh I really want to know …” (Pete Townsend)
• “strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand .everybody’s playing in the Heart of Gold Band” (Robert Hunter)
And I saved the best for last. Social media has been an area so misunderstood. People are beginning to get a grasp of it. About 1 to 2 years ago, one comment captured the naïve coming of age nature of social media.
• “Social media is like teen sex. Everyone wants to do it. Nobody knows how. When it is finally done there is surprise it’s not better.” (Avinash Kaushik)
In many cases this is still true.
So not exactly 101 lines as I had considered. But wait. How about you share, join the conversation, and leave a comment with your favorite quote. Maybe together we’ll get to 101.
Make It Happen!